We Help You Learn while you earn.
Since instituting the Plumbers and Steamfitters Apprenticeship program in 1941, the Local Union 486 has given hundreds of hours of free instruction, on-the-job training, and job opportunities to participants. They are expert technicians, skilled journey workers, trained managers, and high-wage earners.
Number of graduates
Minimum hours of on-the-job training
Total hours of classroom instruction
Number of participating contractors
Where they work:
What they’ll be doing:
What’s in a Union?
- ZHigh rises
- ZPower plants
- ZWater treatment plants
- ZHealth care facilities
- ZSchools & colleges
- ZHVACR facilities
- ZOperating hydraulic and electric controls
- ZMonitoring digital technology control systems
- ZInstalling backflow preventers
- ZInstalling natural & medical gas systems
- ZReading and interpreting building drawings and specifications
- ZCalculating for systems
- ZThey are welders, riggers, steamfitters
- ZCommercial plumbing, heating, cooling & refrigeration
- ZThe Union provides job information, training programs and benefits
- ZProvides a safe working environment
- ZUnion members and officers promote good labor relations
- ZThe Union inspires excellence and pride!
- ZUnion workers do the job right – on time and on budget!
- ZUnion members and officers work with businesses to supply highly trained labor for any size or type of project